Saturday, May 2, 2009

Pigs in a Blanket

Ok if this is what I have to do to survive guess what my choice is going to be.  I'm ok with the mask thing, I've made my dog wear one of those but fuck me if you think I'm wearing anything with Winnie the Pooh on it.  Notice the other shirt's got Pepe la Pu!  There appears to be a lot of poo associated with the swine flu.  Let's face it this whole pandemic is a smear campaign orchestrated by the beef industry.  

But this entry is not about the swine flu per se.  I'm more interested in the way these current events are disseminated.  There is a French cultural theorist named Guy Debord who wrote a book called 'Society of the Spectacle'.  When I was writing my masterpiece, er sorry, masters thesis, in university I used his work to help make some arguments.  Now so as not to offend those who actually read Debord I should say that I treated his work much the same as any other I used.  Read the introduction, poach some relevant footnotes, and dazzle some undergrad babe at the student union bar by pretending I read the thing.   That said, Debord's general idea was that after events like the world wars and the nuclear bomb, society became so desensitized to occurrences of lesser magnitude that it became necessary to dramatize news to get people to consume it.  That trend is more apparent and endemic than ever.  

The swine flu is poised to annihilate the free world.  Whatever.  Laura pointed out to me today that after thwarting the devastating invasion of South American killer bees the world faced an even more sinister imminent destruction.  The resultant lack of pollen exchange for which those same devil bees were responsible, would fall by the way and plant life as we know it was to disappear forever from the face of the earth.  

You tell me, do we really need for every event to spell disaster before we can pay attention or are these prophecies of armageddon necessary to deflect our scrutiny of more important issues?  Fuck I don't give a shit about the swine flu where's my Brittany update?


2 comments:

  1. Last I heard on Britney, there was a video from her world tour showing a tampon string hanging out of the crotch of her leotard.
    If you want the latest on Britney, Paris, or Lindsay, just give me a call.

    ReplyDelete